post Apr 30 2010, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Group: Members

Submissions: None

Member No.: 30,003

Gamertag: tEk_Adacc

(IMG:http://rts-sanctuary.com/uploads/post-81657-1272638424.jpg)

Name: Justin Korthof

Date of Birth: July 1979

Tell us a little about yourself:

Well, I’m an internet junkie, superhero fanatic, and a gamer. I’ve been running community sites online for almost two decades. I started with doing some small fan site type of work, mostly, and eventually worked up into building a very successful, very large community around the development of the last Superman film. From there, I jumped out of my then-day job, graphic design, and started doing online community work in the games industry. I’ve been doing this for about four years now, and I’ve had the privilege of working on some of the coolest franchises around.

---- Gaming History ----

Where did your gamer tag SixOkay come from?

It’s a reference to the first game I worked on, actually. I had just started on Medal of Honor Airborne, and was watching some of the internal videos that the team had created to set the tone for the game. In one of them, the perspective was from the inside of a C-47, in a line of US paratroopers ready to jump out over the battlefield. The soldiers were counting down their readiness from the back of the plane, and the camera turned around just in time for the trooper behind it to yell “Six Okay! Okay to go!” I thought to myself that it would be a great gamertag, and it just sort of stuck.

Have you played any of the “Age of” games? If so which ones?

I have played Age, mostly Age 3. I’ll admit I haven’t played a ton of it, thus far, but I’m playing more so I can get completely on the same page as you guys.

Do you currently play any other video games?

I play all kinds of stuff, mostly on console these days. I’m a big fan of the big action shooters and adventure games. I don’t have as much gaming time on my hands as I used to when I was single with no kids, so these days I really get into the blockbuster-like experiences – 8 to 12 hours of punch-you-in-the-face awesomeness.

---- Robot Entertainment ----

You are the newly crowned “Community Manager” for Robot Entertainment. Is that your only duty or do you have other responsibilities that you can talk about?

I’m Community Manager, through and through. It’s great that I get to focus entirely on that because there’s definitely a lot to do!

Will you be a part of the Aoe4 management or will you be part of the unannounced game’s community? (We are guessing an FPS or RPG based upon your appointment?)

Where it’s appropriate, I will be doing community management work for whatever products Robot Entertainment releases.

What company did you leave to join our beloved Robot Entertainment?

I was most recently at 343 Industries up at Microsoft. I left there in January to take a break and spend some time with my family, and to pursue some of my own projects for a while. When the Robot Entertainment opportunity came up, it felt like a really great time and a really great place for me to get back to doing the online community management work that I love to do.

Can you give us any other information about your past gaming industry experience? Do you have any RTS experience?

I’ve worked on a handful of games in my brief 4 years in gaming, mostly shooters. I was at EALA for about two and a half years working on the Medal of Honor and the Tiberium franchises (RIP Tiberium). From there, I went up to Microsoft and spent some time working on Gears of War 2. After Gears shipped, there was an opportunity to work with Halo at 343 Industries, so I spent just under a year working with that group.

I’ve not worked directly on an RTS in the past, but while at EALA I was in the studio with the guys making the Command & Conquer series. When I was younger, I was a HUGE fan of that series, so I was always up on their floor checking things out and spent a lot of time sharing notes with their community manager. I even, at one point, designed a little user video site for their team to help promote the release of C&C3.

What are you looking forward to most about your new appointment?

Working with the guys here at Robot. I’ve worked in a lot of big corporate environments for the last eight years or so, and it’s really awesome to come into a relatively small, exceptionally creative studio and to see the immense potential there is.

Is there anything that makes you question your decision so far? (We all know Aloysius likes to abuse any sort of power given him :P )

Nothing at all. So far, things have been fantastic. And Aloysius is way nicer than you guys give him credit for.

What do you feel that you personally bring to Robot Entertainment that will help them make the best Aoe4 possible?

Well, I can’t speak to any specific games we’re developing, but I feel like I bring a ton of intense passion for online communities to the table. I’ve been working with community experiences online for about 18 years now, since I was in middle school. I live and breath this stuff, and I can’t wait to start building opportunities for a Robot community to come together. Obviously there were and are a lot of passionate Ensemble fans out there, and I think that we can build up that kind of excitement and community all over again around Robot Entertainment.

Who is your favorite member of the Age of Empires/Mythology community?

I don’t really think I have favorites yet. I’m still pretty new to all of you guys :)

What is your general opinion of the fan sites Age Sanctuary and Heaven Games?

I think that the sites are great. I always love to see fans taking so much initiative to support the communities surrounding the games they love. And wherever I can, I try to encourage and promote that sort of stuff.

---- The Future of Age of Empires ----

Many gamers were horrified when Microsoft announced the closure of Ensemble Studios. But a little hope for the future returned when Robot was announced. Now it’s been over a year and the community has heard nothing. Do you have a bone that you can throw us? Even a little one? If not, we fully understand. Personally, I will be sad, but I will understand.

It’s really great to see how intently everyone is watching Robot Entertainment to find out what we’re working on, and we all appreciate your patience more than you could know. We’re as eager to announce our projects as you are to hear about them, but we don’t want to put anything out there until the timing is right. I assure you, it won’t be long before you hear more about what we’ve been working on for the last year, but I can’t say much more than that right now.

Can we expect any more patches for Aoe3: Tad?

That’s not something I can answer right now, honestly. It’s a much bigger discussion and decision that just me.

---- Random Questions ----

What kind of car do you drive?

A ten year old Ford Focus.

What kind of computer do you have?

This is kind of embarrassing, but at the moment I don’t really have a decent one to speak of. I’ve been using a laptop at home mostly, and a netbook for my web-surfing/twittering/facebooking/blogging on the go.

What is the first thing you do in the morning? Last thing before you go to bed?

First thing I do in the morning is usually check my emails. Last thing I do before going to bed is usually reading.

Can you walk us through a day in the life of SixOkay?

Well, when I get to work, I usually dive into my Twitter accounts, emails, and forum messages first. I make sure nothing’s on fire, metaphorically speaking, then I spend a little time reading the gaming news sites to see what’s going on. After that I dig into whatever work I have for the day, which can vary quite a bit. Somewhere in between there are usually some meetings and such, after which I do more work. I’ll usually spend some time in the day checking out other game industry community sites to see what folks are doing, and to take notes about what I like and don’t like. A couple days a week I’ll sometimes finish off my day with an hour or so of playing our games, just to make sure I’m up to date on everything. Then… I head home.

Briefly describe your weirdest dream?

You know, I don’t remember my dreams very often, but I did have this weird dream that my friends and I were all camping in a cabin somewhere in the woods, and I woke up to find a huge deer going crazy inside the cabin. It was jumping all over, knocking everything over, stomping on all my friends who were mostly sleeping on the floor in sleeping bags. It was a very strange dream.

Tell us a joke, make us laugh.

I’m not really funny, to be honest. You’ll have to talk to Aloysius for that one.

---- Quick Questions ----

Favorite person? Me. :)
Favorite TV show? I don’t really watch TV that much any more.
Favorite Drink? Rum & Coke.
Favorite Food? Hamburgers
Favorite Movie? Heat… or maybe Empire Strikes Back
Favorite Color? Red
Favorite Hobby? Movies
Favorite Song? I’m not really a big music guy
Favorite Band? See above
Cat or Dog? Neither, really, but dog if I had to pick
Pepsi or Coke? Coke

Thank you again for your time and effort!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Vorg
post Apr 30 2010, 06:16 PM
Post #2

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

Member No.: 51,493

the red hurts my eyes

+Quote Post
Adacc
post Apr 30 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

QUOTE(Vorg @ Apr 30 2010, 05:16 PM)
the red hurts my eyes

quit using your sissy eyes then :P :thumbsup:

+Quote Post
Sunnydeeeee
post Apr 30 2010, 06:19 PM
Post #4

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 72,515

nice interview!

+Quote Post
Viper
post Apr 30 2010, 06:24 PM
Post #5

ViperBot™
Group Icon

Group: Staff Alumni

Member No.: 10,610

QUOTE(Vorg @ May 1 2010, 08:46 AM)
the red hurts my eyes

Agreed, I edited to change colours :P Was having trouble reading it.

+Quote Post
Sunnydeeeee
post Apr 30 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #6

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 72,515

QUOTE(Viper @ Apr 30 2010, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE(Vorg @ May 1 2010, 08:46 AM)
the red hurts my eyes

Agreed, I edited to change colours :P Was having trouble reading it.

i'm guessing adacc made it red because that's what he said his favorite color was :santa:

+Quote Post
Adacc
post Apr 30 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #7

Field-Marshal
Group Icon

QUOTE(Adacc @ Apr 30 2010, 05:03 PM)
Tell us a joke, make us laugh.

I’m not really funny, to be honest. You’ll have to talk to Aloysius for that one.

SixOkay, this was a funny joke btw :P

I chuckled

+Quote Post
Viper
post Apr 30 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #8

ViperBot™
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,610

Now that I've actually read it (:P), nice interview. You've got to love how Adacc keeps fishing for info on whether the next game is AoE4 lol. I thought that SixOkay got around those questions pretty well ;)

+Quote Post
TCN Paranoia
post Apr 30 2010, 06:29 PM
Post #9

Captain
Group Icon

Member No.: 66,141

Nice interview i was really hoping hed drop a hint about a possible aoe4.

+Quote Post
Zutazuta
post Apr 30 2010, 06:31 PM
Post #10

The King
Group Icon

Submissions: 1

Member No.: 62,029

Gamertag: Zutazuta

Cool. Nice to see a fresh face on the AOE3 community. If you are ever on ESO to, it'd be fun if you would add some of us. ^^

+Quote Post
_tank
post Apr 30 2010, 06:44 PM
Post #11

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 59,731

nice :thumbsup:

+Quote Post
Prawny
post Apr 30 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #12

Brigadier
Group Icon

Member No.: 79,493

Gamertag: Prawny331

Is there anything that makes you question your decision so far? (We all know Aloysius likes to abuse any sort of power given him  :P )

Nothing at all. So far, things have been fantastic. And Aloysius is way nicer than you guys give him credit for.

boooo

:devil:

Nice interview anyhow.

+Quote Post
goodspeed
post Apr 30 2010, 10:02 PM
Post #13

General
Group Icon

Member No.: 52,657

nice interview. you seem like a standup guy. ..well i guess you kinda have to be to be a community manager :P

+Quote Post
BoBThEImaM
post Apr 30 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #14

Colonel
Group Icon

Member No.: 80,837

Thanks for listen to my suggestion addac. Nice interview!

+Quote Post
[TOAO] SoldieR
post Apr 30 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #15

Lieutenant-General
Group Icon

Member No.: 7,251

Gamertag: IAmSoldieR us

hey man i pretty much hope to follow the same career path!

+Quote Post

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicTopic Options
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:29 AM
About Us  ·   Advertising  ·   Contact Us  ·   Terms of Use  ·   Privacy Policy